Sunday, March 8, 2009

Virtual Schooling- Part 2

I have been working at a public charter school for the past 6 years. It wasn’t until my second year of teaching that we got a telephone installed in our classrooms. That was then followed by 1-2 computers in each classroom…without DVD players and some don’t even have CD players. And now, six years later, we finally have 3 smart boards and a laptop cart in our school. Technology is being adapted into our classrooms slowly but surely.
Looking at this technology trend in my personal school over a 6 year period, I was surprised to see that Michigan was one of the schools that had been discussed in the Clark article. I would not have guessed that at all.
Reading the Clark article and 10 Myths about Virtual Schooling enlightened me on the topic of virtual schooling. I was right when I had stated that students are more willing to express themselves online as opposed to in a classroom setting. It was also interesting how they discussed how teachers work longer hours because they are using the computer constantly to communicate with the students. I can relate to this because this year I started posting homework assignments online instead of through weekly packets. I also communicate with a few parents via email. It really is a constant task making sure that all the emails are being responded to and all the student messages online are being read and responded to as well. I do however feel that even though I am reading and responding to messages more frequently, it is easier to communicate with the parents. I feel like it strengthened the relationship between the parents and me.
I guess virtual schooling does have a lot more benefits that are perceived. Students are learning in a way that is beneficial to them and teachers are teaching without the usual distractions that they usually experience in a classroom setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment